Wednesday, September 4, 2013

Fathers

This is my dad. Isn't he handsome? I don't know what it is, but I think as men get older they only get better looking. Is it just me?
My dad taught me how to love people for who they really are. He taught me to appreciate the classics and look for meaning in songs, not just a funky beat (though that's apprecaited as well). He taught me how to get mad, but how to say sorry afterwards. My dad gave me a mind that would think for itself and question things.
My dad would often spend time with me late into the night talking about things at school, and scripture and philisophical topics. Those are some of my favorite moments, down in my basement room him in the hammock and me on the bed, or vise versa, just talking. 
He is a provider and protector of our family. And I'm thankful for his continued perseverance to be a wonderful husband and father, AND grandpa. He has gleaned from predecessors what to do and what not to do. He looks to the gospel both in word and deed. He is a wonderful example.
I don't know that I'll ever be able to truly understand the burden father's carry, BUT I do know that I will be forever grateful that this one is mine and he was and is willing to carry it.
 HERE is the rest of the talk the quote above is pulled from.

1 comment:

janc@mac.com said...

What a great tribute to a great man. I loved the ways he showed you his love, especially being willing to "listen" and talk.