and I'm a facebook addict. Ok, there, I said it. Doesn't it feel good to get that off your chest? Seriously. A few weeks ago I noticed myself checking facebook more and more, and then with a new phone that was so fast at loading the pages I couldn't help myself. Then I started noticing myself typing "facebook" into my browser when I had JUST checked it. NOTHING CHANGED IN 2 MINUTES! I was like a chain smoker, I'd finish one and start the other. I know I'm not the only one with this problem so I just want to let you know that there is life outside of facebook. REAL LIFE! Last Saturday I was talking to a friend at church that froze her account a couple weeks ago because she was having the same problem. And guess how she finds out about people's lives? She asks them! Real human contact! It works wonders. So for the rest of the year I am facebook free. No holiday updates until the new year where I am making a goal of only checking in once a week. I don't know that I will ever delete my account because it is such an easy way to get in touch with those types of people you don't see regularly. It's great when you are moving to a new place or need some advice on where to find a random item. So facebook has a purpose, and that is how I want it to function in my life...not so much as "social media" but rather as a way to keep a path open to those I just don't have the time to put a regular friendship into. Sorry, but I CANNOT keep on regular tabs with 900+people. I'm not a politician...and lets be real, no one can do that anyways.
What am I hoping to truly gain out of this? More sincere relationships with those around me, a better connection with people I meet on a day to day basis...so you want to get to know me better? Send me a letter, a text, an email, a comment here, a phone call, and you can always come over and give me a hug, have a cup of hot chocolate and we can really talk; face-to-face. Anything but face-to-book. :)
PS I made it to the gym today. Holla!

6 comments:
You are my hero. I am also (embarrassed head hanging low) a Facebook addict. I need to take a page out of your notebook.
Good, Better, Best. Way to go!
It takes courage to recognize that our habits are becoming addictions rather than opportunities. I've had the same thing going on with organ playing lately -- partly based in a fear of lack of preparation and partly a full blown addiction. I can't let mine go completely until the end of the year but I've got to cut back
You have made a big step.
Atta girl! quite frankly I only use facebook when I get an email that so-and-so has contacted me on facebook. I really don't lke facebook. I have looked at facebook pages of some of my step grandchildren and learned far more than I wnated to know. Very disappointing to see their lives splashed across such public pages... but i love blogs! I love emails and snailmail letters. I'm very old-fashioned, I guess........
Way to go!
Post a Comment