Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Red Banana

A couple of weeks ago I bit into a banana to find this:


 What the? That's what I said, and quickly rinsed my mouth out with mouthwash. Adam said it was probably just a fungus that likes bananas and it likely wouldn't do anything to me even if I ate it. Well, no thanks. I'm not going to eat the mutant banana. Instead we dissected it, documented and wrote a email to Dole. Unfortunately we couldn't send them pictures so I had to describe it as best I could with my words. Needless to say the email got a little lengthy. I mainly wanted to see if they wanted to investigate further. Did you know that the majority of bananas sold in the US are only ONE type? There is no variation so if we loose this type of banana to a fungus it's, bye-bye bananas until they can engineer something else...
Anyways a week later I got a letter (dated with Feb 14th, happy valentine's from DOLE!), and a check for $5 bucks. Do they think they can just buy me of?! The banana scandal has ensued. Just know you heard it here first, and when banana's suddenly become $5 each because the entire crop has died because of red fungus just know-I'm ready to buy the first one, complements of Dole.
 Also notice, Brad BARTLETT signed my check. He he.
Sure "Shock Damage"...I'm sure this was just a canned letter. But thank you all the same.

Also, HAPPY LEAP DAY EVERYONE!

3 comments:

Blogful said...

That's remarkable. I am writing to companies more often. It looks like something was injected inside. Maybe they were trying to poison you! (I do think it's sad that too much of our food is only ONE variety. I always try to buy different looking stuff at the store. I "vote" with my wallet and if companies know consumers want variety, then maybe they will start to grow it?) Go dole!

janc@mac.com said...

You and Sherlock of the bananas have me on the edge of my seat waiting for he next installment of this tale.

Saratoga Six said...

SO creepy. I'll always look before I eat from now on.