Sunday, June 12, 2011

Word Verification

You know when you go to buy something, or leave a message online somewhere, and it always asks for word verification? Why are some of them so stinkin' hard? There is no way that I could possibly read the following and be able to type it. I mean sometimes they are in this weird-y script that NO HUMAN could read not to mention I1il1i111 type ones, some of those fonts make a 1 and L and I all look the same! I always get so nervous that if I type it wrong some Internet cop is going to come to my house and check to make sure I'm not a hacker. Thus far this hasn't happened, but you never know. Maybe some day it will be a part of the hiring process, "can you please verify the following words? We need to make sure you are human and not a robot."

AND is this really the only way we have figured out to identify if it's a real person vs some computer doing all this messaging and purchasing online? I mean, if EVERYONE uses word verification don't you think there is some kid out there that has written some C++ script that can get them past that? (Ok, I don't even know what C++ is, but one of my friends said it's a computer language.) Just thinking. That's all.

For the record, this post has been verified to be typed by a real human being. Mostly, because of the typ-o's. I can't read a word and type it back perfectly every time. A computer could, I can't. So maybe a word verification, should be the exact opposite, you see something and type something else. Because it would take a real human being to make that mistake over and over again. Conundrum?

PS why is Internet capitalized...I can go to Italy, I can only get on the internet. I can get on a horse, but I don't capitalize horse. Internet, please don't think too highly of yourself by underlining your name as a miss-spelled word every time I spell it with a little i. You never underline my name if it's spelled with a little j.

4 comments:

Blogful said...

does this mean when I comment on your blog, I will no longer have to write the word verification thing in order for it to post? Are robots trying to hack your blog?

Saratoga Six said...

I think you can take that word verification off in the settings tab of the blog. From the main page click "Design>Settings>Comments." I know what you mean about not being able to read them sometimes! Or some of the weird words that come up too. Funny!

Dangcutekids said...

I think it's time to take that word verification off the comments section of your blog...I'm with you on this verification thing. BUG!

janc@mac.com said...

That a girl! You tell them! Let's get things straight for those of us who can't do word verifications without the third handicapped try.