Monday, December 20, 2010

This brings ananda (=joy or peace in indian).

 Yummy Grape Tomatoes and Fresh Green Onions and a left over cucumber for our salad from our bountiful baskets.
Getting ready to make some tasty, something, at this point I wasn't quite sure what was going to happen. Challenge: Sunday Dinner, using whatever is in the kitchen, haven't been to the grocery store in weeks, just a basket of fresh veggies and fruit.
Are we still documenting? Ok. I'll make it interesting

Waiting for the pan to get warm, I miss our gas stove.

Something in the oven?

  
And here we have caught a rare sight indeed! Jessica, doing dishes?

 Yes. It happens.

Playing with the color settings

sauteing the garlic

Dinner is served! I know it may not look that appealing in the picture but it was DELICIOUS!
I didn't write down the receipe, but this is what I remember putting in.

Feta, Cucumber, Tomato Salad
1 1/2 cup diced tomatoes
1 cup diced cucumber
a little green onion (left over from the curry)
1/4 cup feta cheese (so good on EVERYTHING)
a swig (I seriously have no idea...maybe 1 1/2 TBSP?) of EVOO (extra virgin olive oil)
a swig of basalmic vinigar
salt and pepper to taste

Roasted Eggplant Curry
1 eggplant
1/2 cup cottage cheese
1/2 cup diced tomatoes, drained
1/8 cup  diced green onions
1 TBSP EVOO
I never measure my spices, because it really depends on what you want...but here are the spices I choose:
cumin
red pepper
ginger
garam masala (just a blend of spices, you can buy it or make your own...
curry powder
3 petals (I never know what to call the individual parts of the garlic clove) of garlic
salt and pepper to taste.

1) Puncture eggplant randomly to let it breathe in the oven, place on baking sheet and put in oven at 450 F for 20-30 minutes. remove and let cool while you get the rest of the curry going.

2) Over medium high heat, pour EVOO and add pressed fresh garlic to get the aromas started.
mix in the rest of the spices and  create a paste.
3) Add tomatoes and green onion. Let simmer
4) Cut up the eggplant. The skin is tough so you can peel that off, I left mine on for extra nutrients. You could also peel and hold on to the skin and create a fried crouton with the skin to put on top...I haven't tried that yet though...just thought of it. 
5)Add eggplant, and let simmer once all the indgredients are warm thoroughly.
6) Add the cottage cheese. (you usually use yogurt...but that's what I had, and it worked great).
If it gets too thick add a little milk. add extra spice slowly...put over rice or naan and enjoy!

2 comments:

Blogful said...

Do you also host a cooking show I can watch? Your recipes sound really good: healthy and non-boring. Keep sharing! We'll be making this soon, I am sure. (We just had curry last night)

Saratoga Six said...

Whoa! That's a pretty fancy dinner!