Monday, November 1, 2010

New Rotation for Adam

Well I've rotated into another lab for the second half of this semester. I am working with Dr. Eric Schmidt. The emphasis of his lab is discovering novel compounds from natural sources. Example: most of us have heard of the antibiotic penicillin. Did you know that penicillin was first found in a mold (Penicillium chrysogenum). A long time ago (relatively speaking) Alexander Fleming was growing bacteria on a petri plate and accidentally contaminated the plate with the mold. The bacteria are streaked in a zig-zag across the plate and the white patch is the penicillin mold. Notice how the bacteria can't grow around the white patch. So the professor I work for has been looking for other sources of naturally occurring compounds (not necessarily antibiotics, just potentially useful compounds). What I'm working on at the moment is trying to understand a compound that was discovered in a fungus (Fusarium heterosporum) called Equisetin. The compound looks a lot like the drug Lovastatin (an anti-cholesterol medication) but it's also very unique. My job is to see if I can make bacterial cells that will make this compound instead of the fungus which grows really slow. I'll keep you posted.

5 comments:

janc@mac.com said...

Wow! This sounds really technical but I loved reading about it. You are very smart and disciplined to do such studies. Keep up the great work. Most great discoveries follow more perspiration than inspiration.

Saratoga Six said...

That is so cool. I've always wanted to see how an antibiotic works on bacteria. And hey, if you're looking for some novel bacteria, I can usually recommend my boys bathroom...

Dangcutekids said...

How totally interesting. I bet you're on the trail of something that will cure the common cold. You're brilliant like that. We find lots of penicillin in our fridge if you ever need a little extra. There are lots of molds on the trees out here too you should probably schedule a trip to come to NY and check them out pretty soon :) We miss you guys!

Heidi said...

There are many guys here in the Triangle who do what you are doing! Discovering new drugs and bench research. We have many in our stake. As a side note, that would be a cool piece of art if you blew up the picture and hung it on the wall!

drans007 said...

I will be sitting at the edge of my seat waiting to hear about your next discovery.....I LOVE IT! Any news is interesting news. Keep it coming.