Tuesday, November 27, 2012

Turkey Pot Pie Soup

SOMETIMES I just get the urge to cook. And when I do I end up making enough to feed an army. But I love that. I love sharing my creations with people I love, and it gives me a good reason to call up friends and invite them over (see princess and the frog scene where she makes gumbo for the neighborhood). There is just something so great about sharing food. I think it's one of the reasons I love being a dietitian. Food is a commonality. It brings us together and makes us feel good.
Well I was going to make turkey pot pie-but then realized I'd rather have rolls with it than the crust. I don't really love savory pies. So I adapted and made it a soup and made some delish rolls to go with it. We were able to share our meal with over 6 friends+ the 3 of us and still have left overs. Grand.

Turkey Pot Pie Soup.
1# of cooked turkey (or chicken), shredded
1 large yellow onion-diced
5 carrots, peeled and diced
5 stalks celery, diced
2-3 cups frozen peas
6 cups chicken broth
1 can cream of mushroom
1 can cream of chicken
1/2 tsp garlic salt
1 tsp black pepper (or to taste)
10 small yellow potatoes (about 4 cups chopped in bite size pieces)

1. Combine the onion, carrot, and celery in skillet and cook until onions are soft
2. Combine all ingredients in no particular order into a large pot, witholding the peas.
3. Simmer until potatoes and other veggies are soft (about 30 minutes) if you are in a hurry you could steam the veggies before hand being sure to use the water they cooked in as part of the chicken broth.
4. About 10 minutes before serving add the frozen peas. This will keep their color and texture better. Much more appealing.

Don't worry this will be in the Clayton Cookbook, so don't print it off now. :)


2 comments:

janc@mac.com said...

Sounds delicious. Too bad I didn't have this recipe before making a huge pot the old fashioned method.

Blogful said...

Can't wait to try this one. Sounds SOOO good! Thanks for your recipes