Monday, January 16, 2012

Goin' to the zoo zoo zoo, how about you you you...

Since it was practically summer here in Utah at the beginning of the year, and since January was an observed holiday at the U we went to the Hogle Zoo! Yay!
 Olivia was awake for the first part of our tour, enjoying the monkeys. We even witnessed some amazing howler monkeys talking to each other. It was pretty cool!
Of course we had to take Olivia's first picture by the Gorillas. :) Classy.
Adam got to push Olivia up the hills.
Rhinos! Did you know their horns are made of carotene, the same thing hair is made up of. Talk about thick facial hair!
Baby Zuri. We saw her mother at the Zoo right after we got married, and just before she gave birth. An elephant's gestation period lasts almost 2 years! Talk about a mission. I'm glad I wasn't pregnant that long...
Turtle Family! Ok, not really. They are different species. But I'd like to think they have adopted each other. 
Bird Bath!
Oliva and Mom. She was ready to eat...
After having a little snack she started to get cuddly outside the tiger's cage.
Tiger, tiger, burning bright.
Can anyone tell if this is a crocodile or alligator? Florida family? I'm counting on you!
 Giraffes! They were so close you could have practically touched them. They had old Christmas trees hanging from the ceiling. Christmas fiber!
Look! House Caticus Maximus. Ok, not really. but doesn't he look just like Charlie and Vincent? (Our old kitties from the house in Provo.)
It's critters like these that make me hesitant to get into murky water. I'm sure he couldn't even do anything but I don't like the idea of sharing the water with him.
And of course, the highlight of our trip was lunch time with the animals. Look as the great Jessicanicus Claytononius as she devours the peanut butter sandwich.
In their natural habitat.
Camels are seriously the weirdest. You know when you stare at a simple word like "of" over and over again and suddenly your not sure what it is? The camel is the same problem with animals. They are just weird.
Billy Goat Gruff.
The air from the east, and the air from the west. No wonder that Wicked Witch died. It wasn't the house that fell on top of her, it was emphysema.

Fantastic Day at the Zoo.
Oh, we saw a lot of birds there too. Some of them caged and most of them not.

5 comments:

Blogful said...

I'm guessing Gator? I think crocs have a thinner nose/snout thing and sometimes their teeth stick out I think. Also, they are super rare in the USA and gators are everywhere *down here* so that is my guess.

LMemory said...

I love the cuddly one- sooo pretty/beautiful of both of you!!

janc@mac.com said...

Looks like a seriously fun day BUT don't expect to chalk this up to Olivia thinking she's been to the zoo yet. Ask Daniel. I tell him all the time we did certain things he doesn't seem to remember but I guess they happened when he was either too young or maybe not even born yet.

Saratoga Six said...

Ok, this is seriously the best I have seen the zoo animals, right here in your blog. Great pictures! I'm also glad I don't have to be pg for 2 years. Yikes!

Annie said...

You are pretty funny and clever with your picture captions! I can't believe the air quality difference! So gross what we were breathing. Looks like you guys had a great day at the zoo. Did you know that the last Wednesday of Nov. Dec. Jan. and Feb. is free at the zoo? Another free activity if you want to go again, we would love to join you. :-)