A friend of mine shared this video, and as I was watching it I was thinking, "Man, this would be great for a chastity lesson." When Adam and I first got married one of our first assignments was to teach the senior primary. Yes, the entire senior primary that consisted of 8 or so children between the ages of 8 and 12. When it came time to do the chastity lesson we had a hard time coming up with the lesson since we didn't want to go too deep with the younger kids, but get a point across to the older kids. Ultimately we ended up using a object lesson of giving each child a piece of candy. It sat there in their hands and multiple times they asked if they could eat it, but we continued to remind them that they had been instructed to wait until they were given permission. They waited anxiously, and finally after we finished the scripture stories and other lesson material as outlined in the hand book we explained how this piece of candy was like their chastity. They were each given a body by their Heavenly Father to help them learn and grow and become more like Him. Ultimately, when given permission, we would have the opportunity to create eternal families. We tried to really drive home the fact that waiting and being chaste is so key to eternal happiness.
I know that in today's world immoral media surrounds us and standards are nearly non-existent in many circles. I was able to listen to the priesthood talks from this past conference and was especially touched by Pres. Monson's remarks:
I share with you just a portion of this very telling article:“The interviewers asked open-ended questions about right and wrong, moral dilemmas and the meaning of life. In the rambling answers, … you see the young people groping to say anything sensible on these matters. But they just don’t have the categories or vocabulary to do so.“When asked to describe a moral dilemma they had faced, two-thirds of the young people either couldn’t answer the question or described problems that are not moral at all, like whether they could afford to rent a certain apartment or whether they had enough quarters to feed the meter at a parking spot.”The article continues:“The default position, which most of them came back to again and again, is that moral choices are just a matter of individual taste. ‘It’s personal,’ the respondents typically said. ‘It’s up to the individual. Who am I to say?’“Rejecting blind deference to authority, many of the young people have gone off to the other extreme [saying]: ‘I would do what I thought made me happy or how I felt. I have no other way of knowing what to do but how I internally feel.’”Those who conducted the interviews emphasized that the majority of the young people with whom they spoke had “not been given the resources—by schools, institutions [or] families—to cultivate their moral intuitions.”1Brethren, none within the sound of my voice should be in any doubt concerning what is moral and what is not, nor should any be in doubt about what is expected of us as holders of the priesthood of God. We have been and continue to be taught God’s laws. Despite what you may see or hear elsewhere, these laws are unchanging.
It is so important that these principles of chastity and morality be taught at a young age. After searching though my general conference note book I came across the other quote that Pres. Monson's most recent talk reminded me of; Rosemary M Wixom (Stay on the Path)
The world will teach our children if we do not, and children are capable of learning all the world will teach them at a very young age. What we want them to know five years from now needs to be part of our conversation with them today. Teach them in every circumstance; let every dilemma, every consequence, every trial that they may face provide an opportunity to teach them how to hold on to gospel truths.
One other talk I absolutely loved and reflected on was, Courageous Parenting by Larry R. Lawerence.
Man, I just love this Gospel. How wonderful it is to constantly receive guidance from inspired men and women to improve our lives.
I don't know that any of the kids actually read this blog, but if they do I want you to know how important it is to stay away from even the very appearance of evil. Sometimes it will be hard to come home in time for curfew, or put the dress back on the rack you know you shouldn't be wearing, or turn the computer off if an inappropriate image pops up; but by making a decision now-I mean you primary kids even- you will be SO BLESSED.
Remember the cupcake Heavenly Father has for you.
4 comments:
What a beautiful post! I wasn't able to read the remarks from Pres. Monson because of the dark blue on gray. Please print them brighter so I can read which words you chose. I taught several YM the way you did your Primary kids only I gave them each a "Werther" to remind them how much worth each of them were to Heavenly Father. I asked them to NOT ever eat the candy until their wedding night. Can you believe I received a wedding invitation with a sweet letter from one of them telling me that she had saved it and would be eating it that night! Lessons can be learned and lived.
I recently had to teach the law of chastity lesson in YW. I found some good material that aided the lesson, but these are great quotes too. In our lesson I asked if they wanted an M&M now, or to wait for what was in the box after the lesson. I had made ore a cupcakes.
When you are a teen/youth, it's a big deal, but it's only when you get married that you really realize just how big a deal it is.
Thanks for the post, Jess. You have always been strong in the Gospel and shared your testimony often in Church. I appreciate you sharing it now. Love you.
What a great post and a great lesson. Thank you for sharing.
Post a Comment