
Since we will be away from home for the holidays we haven't gone to the grocery store in a while. While we were at the laundry mat today I asked Adam what he would like for lunch. Instantly he responded, "Ramen...and maybe some creamed corn?" Um...ok. it's christmas you can have whatever the heck you want. He requested a vegetable so that's one for the books. JK Adam is a good "wegetable" eater (geezz! It sounds like I'm talking about a kid. But, for the record, Adam is not a kid...he is my wonderful adorable HUSBAND).Notice that his meal looks like a prison meal. I didn't feel like putting it into nice dishes, because who wants more dishes to do (especially without a dishwasher) right before christmas? Not me.
Well now he's happy and fed. Not the most balanced meal...but I'm not in dietitian training until January so we will let this slide.
For the record: nutritional value of Adam's consuption:
Creamed Corn: 3 servings consumed: 330 kcal, 6 g Pro, 72 g CHO, O g fat (hey hey hey!)
Beef Ramen: 2 servings consumed: 380 kcal, 10 g Pro, 54 g CHO, 14 g fat (NO cholesterol!)
FULL Meal: 710 kcal, 18%fat: 71% CHO, 9% protein
Adam ideally needs 58 g Protein/day...we are 28% there...
Also, did you know that corn is an poor protein source NOT because it's a vegetable but because it is missing 2 essential amino acids; tryptophan and lysine. It is possible to get all your essential amino acids just by eating vegetables but you have to be more aware of what you are eating and get a variety. IE just corn ain't gonna cut it.
But guess what, even though Ramen is quite processed, full of sodium and had it's fat content is coming from saturated fat (at least it's not trans fat)...it does have a lot of Thiamin in it. probably not reason enough to eat it regularly.

4 comments:
look though. he's eating off a silpat, so instantly I love you.
How very clever of you to make sure he is eating correctly nutritionally. I could use a helper like you to analyze my chocolate intake over the holidays. I'm sure there must be vegetables and protein in it!
Lucky! If I could eat Ramen everyday and not die, you know I would.
Aunt Becky would be proud! She was a fine connoisseur of all Ramen.
Post a Comment