So as many of you know I've been doing research on antarctic nematodes and two weeks ago I had the opportunity to travel to Estes Park Colorado and present my work. It was a great opportunity filled with lots of excitement, fun, some boring meetings, and a lot of people getting drunk every night. It was the 2009 LTER (Long-Term Ecological Research) ASM (All Scientists Meeting). What it involved was my preparing a 3' x 4' poster and for three hours one night presenting my work and results to scientist who work at many of the global LTER sites. Our site is abbreviated MCM (McMurdo Station in Antarctica). The rest of the days, if we weren't attending meetings, we were playing frisbee golf, mini-golf, or hiking. There was a lot more to do, but we didn't have a lot of time to do it all. I had a lot fo studying to do to stay up with school while I was away. Another thing that was fun about the meetings was when we checked in they gave each of us a mug that you could plug into a USB port or a cigarette lighter in your car and it keeps your drink warm. Random...but kinda cool. A couple of different times a herd of elk would walk all over the grounds and I got some pictures right up close to them.
Sunday, September 27, 2009
2009 LTER ASM Estes Park, CO
So as many of you know I've been doing research on antarctic nematodes and two weeks ago I had the opportunity to travel to Estes Park Colorado and present my work. It was a great opportunity filled with lots of excitement, fun, some boring meetings, and a lot of people getting drunk every night. It was the 2009 LTER (Long-Term Ecological Research) ASM (All Scientists Meeting). What it involved was my preparing a 3' x 4' poster and for three hours one night presenting my work and results to scientist who work at many of the global LTER sites. Our site is abbreviated MCM (McMurdo Station in Antarctica). The rest of the days, if we weren't attending meetings, we were playing frisbee golf, mini-golf, or hiking. There was a lot more to do, but we didn't have a lot of time to do it all. I had a lot fo studying to do to stay up with school while I was away. Another thing that was fun about the meetings was when we checked in they gave each of us a mug that you could plug into a USB port or a cigarette lighter in your car and it keeps your drink warm. Random...but kinda cool. A couple of different times a herd of elk would walk all over the grounds and I got some pictures right up close to them.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
We recently saw a documentary called "Encounters At The End Of The World" which was really interesting. I remember a lot was about McMurdo and about the parasite research there. You might really like it. Good job on your presentation!
WOW! So many posts and so interesting. I love that one of you showing off your poster. I tried to read the fine print but it was beyond me and a bit out of focus as well. Looks like a very cool experience. Congratulations!
When we lived in CO we visited there several times. We also always saw elk. COOL science project. You've come a long way since grade school!
Post a Comment