Soooooo...it's official! We are now engaged, and hence the blogging begins. So here's our story. We have known one another for almost 3 years now. I moved into Santa Barabra Condos, Provo Utah in the fall of 06. There I happened upon the nicest of people and friends that I knew I was going to have for a life time...(cough cough...Lindsey and Sarah...that's a shout out to you...) I also met a nice young man named Adam Clayton. School had just begun and Adam came over to, well I'm not sure what for...I'm sure it was to fix a light bulb :).
We ended up talking for a while and learned that we lived directly across from one another. In fact, we slept in the same exact spot BUT in opposite facing condos. We thought it would be a cleaver idea to set up a telephone across from our apartment to his. Though it wasn't used often, we were "connected" from that time on. Beat that Alexander Graham Bell.
We found ourselves intermingled in the same group of friends and spent many weekends on a plethora of adventures including Timpanogos hikes, movie nights and ward activities. However, the most memorable times were for sure when we would go on motorcycles rides, scooter rides and trips to the grocery stores. So even before we were dating we ended up running errands like married people.
Adam swears that one night we were at Rico's house and we held hands during the movie, and he doesn't remember the movie (probably because he was so nervous to hold my hand) but I, for the life of me, can't remember.
The year of 2008 brought us much closer, I often remember visiting and having intense gospel and life discussions. Adam always had good insights, we would sit next to one another during gospel doctrine and he always had good things to add. I was really impressed with Adam since the moment I met him. His kind heart and willingness to assist those in need grabbed my attention. He really loves everyone (especially me).
That summer (2008) I would say was one of our official first dates. I had been watching my parent's house while they were on a cruise and Adam came up to visit. We made a delicious salmon dinner, enjoyed a Park City sunset and then topped the night off with the Davinci Code.
I remember wondering then, "Would this boy that we had all talked about as the 'perfect one' be interested in me?" Well, time would tell.
The rest of the summer played out as normal, more trips to the grocery store and warm summer night motorcycle rides....
NOW the story gets good.
A week before conference Adam and I went to go get his watch fixed and we talked about the upcoming general conference session, and we decided we should watch some conference together. We decided that Sunday afternoon would work best, and made a date of it. Sunday morning, Jessica got a call from Genna offering her two tickets to the Sunday afternoon session = Date upgrade! We left quickly enjoying homemade orange rolls on the way taking TRAX up to the conference center. (A side story, we found someone's purse that they'd left on TRAX so we also managed to meet up with them outside the conference center and saved the day.)
We saw a few mutual friends of ours and thought about sitting by them, but Adam being as sneaky as he is, decided he could work his magic if we sat alone :) About half-way through conference he very slyly got me to scratch his back, and eventually hold his hand. After conference on the way back the train was crowded so the hand holding was minimized, but he still managed to keep his arm around me. When we got off the train in Sandy I could tell he wanted to hold my hand again, but wasn't sure how to go about procuring said hand again. I noticed and offered him my hand again which resulted in our skipping back to the car. We drove home singing songs from the Wicked soundtrack...so classy (like ramen noodles lol)(inside joke). On the way home he asked if I wanted to come over and watch a movie...hesitantly I said yes, but secretly I really wanted to, plus my incentive was that I got to pick the movie (every girl's dream right?)
It's all history from there...we've seen each other almost every day and when we couldn't see each other we talked on the phone (Cari and Hutch both said they felt like Jessica was there with them too with how much we would talk on the phone.) Other dates of note have been: attending the symphony, Abi's blind date with Jeff, thanksgiving at the Brothers', fake-giving at the Clayton's (inside joke again), studying in the library (and yes we really studied...most of the time), Andrew Brothers' farewell, Amy's baby blessing, and many nights of cooking at home and watching movies.
We both feel blessed and very excited to be taking the next step in life with our best friend at our side. It turns out fairy tales do come true.
2 comments:
Dating is fun, but just WAIT until you get married. We're so excited to have you in the Fam, Jessica.
I'll comment on that fabulous piece of literature any day. Sometimes it takes a while for a busy mom of 5 to make time to read long blog stories, but yours was well worth it. I loved every detail and I am SOOOO excited another sibling is marrying there best friend. I know how you two feel and I can't wait for your wedding day, especially since it's the exact same day I had my first baby 12 years ago.
Post a Comment